I have mixed emotions when I think about 2023. I achieved some goals I wanted to achieve (like my first top 10s at ranking events), and some other things I didn't believe I would be capable of (like having a course record). However during the last half year, I had big problems with my game during tournaments, where I could not hit a ball straight, and I was really upset about it. I had to skip a ranking event because of a car accident, and I didn't play at all in the last 2 months. At least this is going to change very soon, as I'm going back to play next weekend.
Apart from minigolf this year, I decided it was time to come out from early retirement in table tennis, and joined the greatest club in Budapest, the Dream Team. I had the opportunity to play a match last season, I won 2 out of 4 games, and the team won 11-5, so it was a great start. The plan in 2024 is to play another game, or more if it's possible, and keep it successful. :)
Let's have a look at my goals for 2023:
- I want to get a top 10 finish at any BMGA ranking event.: Yes, I managed this twice.
- Have a top3 overall finish at any event.: Yes, I won my event and had a doubles 3rd place in Hungary.
- Hit a new personal best (28 and 21 to beat) or at least beat 3 of my PBs at different courses.: Yes I had some great low-scoring moments. In Sweden I had a 26 during practice in Sundyberg, and a 27 in Taunton during the English Open, which stands as a new course record as well. For 12 holes, I had a 20 during the Gloucester Aces Open, and a 19 for a game in Sweden.
- Keep Category2 status and aim for top20 in the rankings.: No, I gave up on the rankings and finished 40th at the end of the year.
- Record all the aces at Dunton Hills in under 2 days. Yes! Please see this video on my YouTube channel, if you didn't watch it yet. Also good to subscribe for more content in 2024. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUsRTmh5ak
- Organise Coate Water Open for the 2nd time. Make it bigger, and more professional, but keep it free. Mainly yes. I couldn't manage to make it bigger, we had the same number of players, but we had trophies and more professional medals to give away. I'd call it a success.
- Get a new putter.: Yes, and already had some modifications on it too, sadly I couldn't test it too much.
We can call this a success, as I managed to complete almost all of my goals.
Goals for 2024:
- At least 2 top10 finishes at BMGA ranking events.
- Have a top3 overall finish at any event.
Hit a new personal best (26/27 and 19/20 to beat) or at least beat 3 of my PBs at different courses.
- Make at least 2 new aces videos about full courses.
- Organise Coate Water Open for the 3rd time.