The Kent Minigolf Club take a record breaking 4th UK Club Championship
26 Nov 2013 at 20:08 | Published by: Freebird | Views: 9295 | News search
The Kent Spitfires - Andy Exall, Adam Kelly, Sean Homer (C), Michael Smith (Photo by Scott Lancley / KMGC)
The twelfth annual BMGA British Club Championship saw the Kent Minigolf Club win the title for the fourth year in a row after a daylong tournament played out at the Basingstoke Golf Centre’s 9-hole Mini Golf course. A total of nine teams from five of the British Minigolf Association’s Clubs entered the event. The Kent Hurricanes team was runner-up, losing to the Kent Spitfires in the final match played over eighteen holes. The Midlands Minigolf Club’s ‘A’ team defeated the London Mini Golf Club’s team in the play-off for third/fourth place.
» Results from the British Club Championship
Commenting on the fourth win in a row for the Kent Minigolf Club, Captain Sean Homer said “Retaining the British Club Championship title on Sunday was once again a very proud moment for all of us in the KMGC. The club continues to grow and develop the talent within our ranks and with 4 teams this year, we saw another five players making their British Club Championship debuts – Mark Wood, Chris Wood, Martin Greenhead, Brian Smith and Matty Exall. Making BMGA club history by winning a fourth title in a row is a brilliant way to end another great year for the club and we are all looking forward to defending our title again in 2014 - who knows, perhaps next time we will have 5 teams in our bid to make it 5 in a row! VTK!“.
The BMGA British Club Championship saw all the players in the 9 teams play in an initial 27 hole strokeplay phase which decided the seeding for the main matchplay knockout tournament. The teams then took part in matchplay quarter finals, semi finals and finals, with the last matches of the day deciding the positions from 9th place up to the Champions.
Sean, who is also the Chairman of the British Minigolf Association said “The Basingstoke Golf Centre's Mini Golf course proved once again to be a great setting for the Club Championship. The British Minigolf Association would like to thank all of the teams and players for competing and all of the team at Basingstoke Golf Centre for hosting the event. We look forward to returning to the course again in 2014.”
Final Championship Standings were as follows:
1) KENT SPITFIRES - Sean Homer (C), Michael Smith, Adam Kelly, Andy Exall
2) KENT HURRICANES - Scott Lancley (C), Tony Kelly, Will Donnelly, Dave Donnelly
3) MIDLANDS 1 - Richard Gottfried (C), John Moore, Jon Drexler, Mark Swain
4) LONDON - Jon Angel (C), Ruth Burke, Steve Sturdy, Alan Norman
5) KENT TORNADOS - Mark Wood (C), Chris Wood, Martin Greenhead, Tiger Pragnell
6) PLANET HASTINGS - Terry Exall (C), Alistair Shaw, Alex Shaw, Freddie Blackburn-Shaw
7) MIDLANDS 2 - Paul Johnson (c), Kevin Cox, Owen Johnson, Paul Godding
8) KENT HELLCATS - Marion Homer (C), Brian Smith, Adrian Amey, Matty Exall
9) CAMBRIDGESHIRE - Chris Smith (C), Seth Thomas, Emily Gottfried, Brenda Smith
BMGA British Club Championships Honours Board:
• Kent Minigolf Club – four time champions
• Planet Hastings Crazy Golf Club – four time champions
• London Minigolf Club – three time champions
• Midlands Minigolf Club – one time champions
The BMGA British Club Championship was the final competition in the British Minigolf Association’s season.
» Team photos